Those wild-eyed boys that had been away…


Jeff and Artis are back. And we’re into the final phase. The basic studio is now built, so there are just three things still to do.

  • Door seals (it’s amazing how much sound can leak through a 1mm gap!)
  • Build the aircon exterior heat exhaust
  • Build the studio furniture

They have two other jobs on at the moment – a listed building house in Suffolk (a rare non-studio-related job) and a suite of several studios for Coventry University. Jeff also has his wife with him, and they’re doing some tourist & family stuff around Bath. So Artis is on his own for now. Luckily for Artis, the studio now has broadband and a phone line fitted, so he has real-time streamed audio of Latvian radio – nice and loud through Genelec 8040As, no less. We did take a moment to put on some Sepultura, Machine Head and Metallica this afternoon. Just to test the soundproofing, of course. It works.

I forgot to mention that while the guys were away I’ve been encouraged to set up my gear and try out the ergonomics of the space in readiness for their return. So the plan, apparently, is for Artis to use Howard’s drawings as ‘a guide’ – so I think some negotiation between designer and builder might still be needed. I’ve now taken delivery of the M1F and it looks enormous in the room, so we need to work out carefully how I’m going to reach to the gain and high EQ of a fairly deep analogue desk.

Here’s a pic of my makeshift setup (garden table with a blanket thrown over it).

The makeshift setup, before the furniture is built.

The makeshift setup, before the furniture is built.

Jeff dropped Artis off with a van full of kit, including the (Sonor) drum shells, all the mics and stands, Behringer ADA8000 converter and some of the outboard rack kit. In my young and excitable teens and 20s I would have ripped open every box to look at the goodies inside (actually it still took great restraint not to do this) but in the interests of tidiness I’ve left everything boxed up until the furniture is built.

A room full of kit. No box-opening allowed. Yet.

A room full of kit. No box-opening allowed.

So the first job for Artis today was to sort out the aircon. We found that if we just switched on the aircon unit in the room, its cooling power was cancelled out by its heat exhaust. So we need to get the hot air outside – without, of course, compromising soundproofing. The answer? Power tools and a big hole in the wall.

Aircon unit with exhaust pipe. And a blank wall.

Aircon unit with exhaust pipe. And a blank wall.

Big hole in the wall.

Big hole in the wall.

Hole covered with metal vent - the hot air comes out of the bottom.

Hole covered with metal vent - the hot air comes out of the bottom.

Pipe through hole.

Pipe through hole.

Air inlet behind the control room baffle, pulling fresh air into the building.

Air inlet behind the control room baffle, pulling fresh air into the building.

All connected up and ready to blow!

All connected up and ready to blow!

So the plan, tomorrow, is to lay out all the gear (keyboard, Mac, Genelecs, monitor, M1F and Digi002) on the floor and work out furniture design around the 2 racks (one under, one over) that we’ll be building.

That’s the short-term plan. The long-term plan is to, er, learn to play the drums…

———-

In other news, Artis is teaching me origami. Here’s the Peace Crane, the first complicated one that everyone learns, apparently.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: